The Story So Far: Part 2


After that first weekend in Naha, I decided to take a break. So I did not go anywhere for a couple of weekends. On 30 October, a dangerous thing happened. It is so dangerous, that no one is safe either on base or off. I received my SOFA Driver's license. I passed the test on the first try, and then proceeded to go look for a car. I found one the next day. It is a blue 2000 Mazda Demio, similar to the picture at start of this post. It has an automatic transmission, power windows, power locks, AM/FM CD, styling 13-inch wheels, and a 1.3L four cylinder 82hp engine that would make a riding lawnmower proud. Ok, so it gets great mileage, but MOTORCYCLES have larger engines than this car. I should not complain though, it is perfect for the smaller roads out here.

Speaking of the roads out here, I had to make a minor adjustment in my driving style. I had to remember to drive on the LEFT side of the road! So after I first got my car, I only drove on base. This way, if I made a turn onto the wrong side of the road, I was around patient people who would not laugh.....too much. In those first couple of days, I perfected what some call the "Okinawan Wave." That is when you use your windshield wipers to signal your intention to turn instead of your turn signal. The turn signal lever is also on the wrong side...sigh. I finally figured it all out, and then ventured off base. My very first "expedition." It was a long and arduous trek, but I made it the full 1 mile drive to the Naval Hospital at Camp Lester with out incident. (So I "waved" to the gate guard when I turned into the gate, it was only that once......)

Aside from the relearning curve, I enjoy driving out here. It is much slower, and there are quite a few beautiful roads. It was this pursuit of beautiful roads that prompted me to go to on my first true expedition. Which I will talk about on my next post.

The Okinawa Expedition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fixing an Over Heating Android TV Box

Setting up Plex to work with a Panasonic Viera HDTV and Kodi Comparisons

Kodi and the Disappearing Text - Tweaking Kodi to display English and non-Latin characters together